Hanging Head Dragonfly Shade on Mosaic and Turtleback Base

Lamp with stained glass shade featuring dragonflies and shades of green, purple, brown

Image actions

  • Lamp with stained glass shade featuring dragonflies and shades of green, purple, brown

Date:

By 1906

Artist:

Design attributed to Clara Pierce Wolcott Driscoll
American, 1861–1944
Made by Tiffany Studios
American, 1902–1932
Corona, New York

About this artwork

In the 1890s Louis Comfort Tiffany began using his opalescent Favrile glass to produce lamps, the decorative form for which he would become most famous. As the artistic director of Tiffany Studios located in Corona, New York, he approved all patterns but created relatively few lamps himself. Clara Driscoll, head of the Women’s Glass Cutting Department, was likely responsible for this shade and base. Driscoll began working for Tiffany in 1888, and she designed the majority of the firm’s lamps before she left the company in 1908 or 1909. Driscoll created at least eight dragonfly shades. This example is distinguished by its large size, glass cabochons, and the placement of insects’ bodies along the lower edge. While Tiffany Studios mass-produced these shades and bases, the firm varied the color scheme of each object to heighten the sense of handcraftsmanship. This daring design became one of Tiffany’s most popular and was made through 1924.

On View

American Art, Gallery 178

Artist

Tiffany Studios

Title

Hanging Head Dragonfly Shade on Mosaic and Turtleback Base

Origin

New York City

Date

1901–1911

Medium

Favrile glass and bronze

Inscriptions

Shade model 1507 stamped: TIFFANY STUDIOS NEW YORK 1507 Base model 355 impressed: TIFFANY STUDIOS NEW YORK 5858 TIFFANY STUDIOS NEW YORK

Dimensions

H.: 86.4 cm (34 in.); diam: 57.2 cm (22 1/2 in.)

Credit Line

Roger and J. Peter McCormick Endowments, Robert Allerton Purchase Fund, Goodman Endowment for the Collection of the Friends of American Art, Pauline S. Armstrong Endowment, Edward E. Ayer Endowment in memory of Charles L. Hutchinson; restricted gift of the Antiquarian Society in memory of Helen Richman Gilbert and Lena Turnbull Gilbert, Sandra van den Broek, Mr. and Mrs. Henry M. Buchbinder, Quinn E. Delaney, Mr. and Mrs. Wesley M. Dixon, Jamee J. and Marshall Field, Celia and David Hilliard, Elizabeth Souder Louis, Mrs. Herbert A. Vance, and Mr. and Mrs. Morris S. Weeden

Reference Number

2006.2

Extended information about this artwork

Object information is a work in progress and may be updated as new research findings emerge. To help improve this record, please email .

Share

Sign up for our enewsletter to receive updates.

Learn more

Image actions

Share