The Textile Society supports the Department of Textiles. Members attend exclusive society events, previews of textile exhibitions, special departmental programs, and study trips to public and private collections.
For more information, please contact Elyse Strand, assistant director of affiliate programs and events, at (312) 443-9198 or firstname.lastname@example.org.
- All Silver-level benefits
- Prioritized access to curator-led travel opportunities
- Special opportunities to interact with visiting scholars and artists
- All Sustaining-level benefits
- Special opportunities to view and understand the permanent collection
- Select visits to private collections
- Early access to curator-led travel opportunities
- All Individual-level benefits for two people
- Invitation to the Textile Society’s annual meeting in April
- Invitation to member lectures, special exhibition events, and Textile Society programs
Tuesday, December 4
Enjoy a tour of the fall exhibition Super/Natural: Textiles of the Andes with Erica Warren, assistant curator, Department of Textiles, and Elizabeth Pope, research assistant and collections manager, Department of the Arts of Africa and the Americas.
Tuesday, February 12
Tour the Deering Galleries of Medieval and Renaissance Art, Arms, and Armor with Jonathan Tavares, associate curator of arms, armor, and European decorative arts before 1700, and Leslie Fitzpatrick, associate curator of European decorative arts. Patron Members (Silver and Gold level) enjoy a private walk-through of the conservation lab, prior to the tour, at 10:30 a.m. with Kathleen Kiefer, head of textiles conservation, and Isaac Facio, assistant conservator.
Thursday, March 28
Sumru Krody, senior curator, George Washington University Museum and Textile Museum, leads this program about Bukharan textiles in conjunction with the Art Institute’s exhibition Ornamental Traditions: Jewelry from Bukhara.
Co-hosted with Asian Art Council
Thursday, April 18
Sustaining Fellows Lounge
The annual meeting is followed by tea.
Tuesday in May/June 2019
Enjoy a walk-through of the spring exhibition, which will consider the educational legacy of the Bauhaus’s weaving workshop, with Erica Warren, assistant curator, Department of Textiles.