About this artwork
The rooster-shaped container proffered by this kneeling female figure was made to hold kola nuts, which are shared with guests as a gesture of hospitality. The sculpture’s surface is rubbed with washing blue, a laundry aid used to prevent white clothes from yellowing. The color blue carries special significance for the Yoruba. Expressing coolness, it is associated with water and water deities as well as admired qualities such as purity, discretion, and composure.
- Agbonbiofe , Obembe Alaiye
- Female Figure with Rooster (Olumeye)
- Nigeria (Object made in), Africa (Object made in)
- Wood, pigment, glass beads, and thread
- 40.1 × 31.1 × 22.8 cm (16 × 12 1/4 × 9 in.)
- Ada Turnbull Hertle Fund