Sir Walter Armstrong, Sir Henry Raeburn (London and New York, 1901), p. 111.
James Greig, Sir Henry Raeburn R.A.: His Life and Works with a Catalogue of His Pictures (London, 1911), p. 58.
Frank Rinder and W.D. McKay, The Royal Scottish Academy, 1826-1916 (Glasgow, 1917), p. 322.
William Roberts, Adam Rolland of Gask. Art Monographs (London, 1919), p. 9.
T.C.F. Brotchie, Henry Raeburn, 1756-1823 (London and New York, 1924), p. 96.
The Heckscher Museum, Huntington, New York, Catalogue of the Collection: Paintings and Sculpture (New York, 1979), p. 132, under no. 132.
John D. Morse, Old Master Paintings in North America (New York, 1979), p. 220
Malcolm Warner in Malcolm Warner and Susan Wise, French and British Paintings from 1600 to 1800 in The Art Institute of Chicago (Chicago, 1996), pp. 269-271, ill.
Edinburgh, Royal Academy National Galleries, The Works of Sir Henry Raeburn, R.A., 1876, no. 72.
By descent to the sitter’s nephew, Adam Rolland of Gask III (died 1837); then to the latter’s son Adam Rolland of Gask IV (died 1890) [the early provenance of the painting is established in correspondence of 1949 between Ellis Waterhouse, then director of the National Gallery of Scotland, and James Byam Shaw of Colnaghi in the files of the National Gallery of Scotland with copies in curatorial file]; given or bequeathed by Adam Rolland of Gask IV to the Society in Scotland for the Propagation of Christian Knowledge after 1876; on deposit from the Society to the National Gallery of Scotland, Edinburgh, 1891-1976; sold by the Society, 1976 [letter from Lindsay Errington of the National Gallery of Scotland to John Maxon, director of the Art Institute, November 4, 1976 in curatorial file]. Julius Weitzner, London, 1976-1977; sold to the Art Institute 1977.
Object information is a work in progress and may be updated as new research findings emerge. To help improve this record, please email .