About this artwork
Jan Brueghel the Elder was the third child of the renowned genre and landscape painter Pieter Bruegel. Jan spent a number of years in Italy as a young man, and there developed a sensitivity for landscape drawing that would remain with him throughout his later career in Antwerp. This sheet, dating from his last year in Rome, demonstrates the artist’s ability to reconcile the small and everyday with the grand and sublime.
- Currently Off View
- Prints and Drawings
- Jan Brueghel, the elder
- A Hilly Landscape with Figures Near a Ravine
- Flanders (Artist's nationality:)
- Pen and brush and brown ink and brush and brown wash on ivory laid paper
- Dated upper left, in pen and brown: "1595"; inscribed, verso, upper center, in pen and brown ink: "No 231"
- 11.3 × 18.9 cm (4 1/2 × 7 1/2 in.)
- Helen Regenstein Fund