About this artwork
This glass earring is half of a pair (with 1894.23) that an Ancient Egyptian craftsman made by first softening blue glass with heat and bending it around a rod. They then fused a twisted cane of white-and-black glass to the main body of the earring. A wire strung through the top would have allowed the wearer to hang this earring from their pierced ear. This particular style was popular during the New Kingdom (about 1550–1069 BCE), when Egyptian men, women, and children of all social classes wore earrings made from glass, precious metals, or stone.
- Ancient Egyptian
- Egypt (Object made in)
- 1400 BCE–1295 BCE
- 2.7 × 2.5 × 0.5 cm (1 1/16 × 1 × 3/16 in.)
- Gift of Henry H. Getty and Charles L. Hutchinson