About this artwork
Georg Pencz’s largescale engraving includes over a dozen coats-of-arms. Frederick and his nephew supported Martin Luther and the Reformation, through both direct financial aid as well as through their support of the artistic propaganda machine directed by Lucas Cranach and his workshop. Indeed, the floral crest at John Frederick’s right elbow represents the Luther Rose, a bold symbol of his commitment to Lutheranism.
- Currently Off View
- Prints and Drawings
- Georg Pencz
- Elector John Frederick the Magnanimous of Saxony
- Germany (Artist's nationality)
- Made 1543
- Engraving in black on ivory laid paper
- Image: 40 × 30.9 cm (15 3/4 × 12 3/16 in.); Sheet: 40.4 × 31.2 cm (15 15/16 × 12 5/16 in.)
- Gift of Mr. and Mrs. Potter Palmer, Jr.