Pen and brown ink on tan laid paper with blue fibers, laid down on ivory wove card
Inscribed recto, lower center on mount, in pen and brown ink (in J. Richardson, Sr.'s hand): "Parmeggiano"; lower right, in pen and brown ink (in J. Richardson, Sr.'s hand): "k. 241 (Lansdowne Ms 802)"
98 × 72 mm
The Leonora Hall Gurley Memorial Collection
Extended information about this artwork
Suzanne Folds McCullagh and Laura M. Giles, Italian Drawings before 1600 in The Art Institute of Chicago: A Catalogue of the Collection (Chicago, 1997), p. 169-70, no. 218 (ill.).
Art Institute of Chicago, “151 Italian Drawings from the Art Institute,” 1979-1980, pp. 28-29, no. 14, pl. 19, cat. by Harold Joachim and Suzanne Folds McCullagh; also traveled to Washington, D.C., the National Gallery of Art.
Art Institute of Chicago, “Drawings Rediscovered: Italian Drawings before 1600 in The Art Institute of Chicago,” Apr. 12-June 22, 1997.
Padre Sebastiano Resta (1635-1714), Milan (see Lugt 2992 and Lugt 2993); Monsignor Giovanni Matteo Marchetti, Bishop of Arezzo (died 1704), Arezzo (see Lugt 2911); bequeathed to Cavaliere Orzaio Marchetti da Pistoia, his nephew; sold probably through John Talman (died 1726), Hinkworth, Hertfordshire (see Lugt 2462) in 1710 to John, Lord Somers, script (Lugt 2981) recto, lower right and lower center on mount, in pen and brown ink; sold, London, Motteux, May 16, 1717; Earl Spencer [stamp (Lugt 1531), recto, lower right, in black]. Sold, Puttick & Simpson, London, August 6-7, 1914, part of lot 439, as “Parmeggiano,” to William F. E. Gurley (1854–1943), Chicago [stamp (Lugt 5308), recto, lower left, in black]; given to the Art Institute of Chicago for the Leonora Hall Gurley Memorial Collection, 1922 [stamp (Lugt 1230b), verso, center on mount, in black].
McCullagh & Giles 218
Object information is a work in progress and may be updated as new research findings emerge. To help improve this record, please email . Information about image downloads and licensing is available here.