Pen and brown ink with brush and pale brown wash, heightened with lead white (partly oxidized), on blue laid paper, laid down on ivory wove paper
Inscribed recto, lower left, in pen and brown ink: "Bernardo Castello"; lower left of center, in pen and brown ink: "IOSIA"; lower center, in pen and brown ink: "P G [?] Sma trinità"; lower right of center, in pen and brown ink: "ESECHIA"
198 × 267 mm
The Leonora Hall Gurley Memorial Collection
IIIF Manifest The International Image Interoperability Framework (IIIF) represents a set of open standards that enables rich access to digital media from libraries, archives, museums, and other cultural institutions around the world.
Harold Joachim and Suzanne Folds McCullagh, Italian Drawings of the 15th, 16th, and 17th Centuries (Chicago and London, 1979), p. 121, 4C5.
Suzanne Folds McCullagh and Laura M. Giles, Italian Drawings before 1600 in The Art Institute of Chicago: A Catalogue of the Collection (Chicago, 1997), p. 77, no. 94 (ill.).
Binghamton, N.Y., University Art Gallery, State University of New York, “Genoese Baroque Drawings,” Oct. 1-31, 1972, cat. 16, p. 7, (ill.); also the Worcester Art Museum, Nov. 8-Dec. 10, 1972.
Art Institute of Chicago, “Drawings Rediscovered: Italian Drawings before 1600 in The Art Institute of Chicago,” Apr. 12-June 22, 1997.
William F. E. Gurley (1854–1943), Chicago; given to the Art Institute of Chicago for the Leonora Hall Gurley Memorial Collection, 1922.
McCullagh & Giles 94
Object information is a work in progress and may be updated as new research findings emerge. To help improve this record, please email . Information about image downloads and licensing is available here.