About this artwork
The buttons on this waistcoat are covered with small circles embroidered to match the pattern of the garment’s textile. The back is a plain, inexpensive linen fabric, as it would not be seen when worn under a jacket. The waistcoat has been shortened from its original shape. Such recycling attests to the value of the fabric itself.
Currently Off View
- France (Object made in), Europe (Object made in), Lyon (Object Possibly made in)
- Made 1780-1789 , Revisions/ alterations 1795-1805
- Front: Silk, satin weave foundation, embroidered with silk thread in satin, steam and buttonhole stitches and French knots; embroidered fabric covered buttons; silk, twill weave lining; back: linen, plain weave
- 66.3 × 66.7 cm (26 1/8 × 26 1/4 in.)
- Gift of Dr. Frank W. Gunsaulus to the Frances Kinsley Hutchinson Collection