About this artwork
We know very little about the woman depicted in this blue-hued drawing beyond her first name: Madeleine. She was likely Picasso’s model and lover during the summer of 1904; this depiction of her shows him experimenting with color and form to explore somber emotional states.
- Pablo Picasso
- Woman with a Helmet of Hair
- Spain (Artist's nationality:)
- Gouache on tan wood pulp board
- Signed and dated recto, upper left, in blue gouache: "Picasso / 1904"
- 42.7 × 31.3 cm (16 13/16 × 12 3/8 in.)
- Bequest of Kate L. Brewster
- © 2018 Estate of Pablo Picasso / Artists Rights Society (ARS), New York