John Rewald, Degas: Works in Sculpture, A Complete Catalogue (New York, 1944), pp. 25, 103, no. 46.
Art Institute of Chicago, “Recent Purchases and Gifts,” Art Institute of Chicago Bulletin, 44, 4 (November 1950), n. p.
New York, M. Knoedler & Company, Inc., Edgar Degas, 1834–1917: Original Wax Sculptures (1955), no. 45, fig. 45.
John Rewald, Degas Sculpture: The Complete Works (New York, 1957), p. 151, no. 46, pls. 34–35.
Fiorella Minervino, L’Opera completa di Degas (Milan, 1970), p. 142, cat. S36.
Charles W. Millard, The Sculpture of Edgar Degas (Princeton, 1976), pp. 24, 67, fig. 51.
Anne Pingeot, Degas: Sculptures (Paris, 1991), pp. 170–71, no. 36.
Sara Campbell, “A Catalogue of Degas’ Bronzes,” Apollo 142, 402 (August 1995), pp. 38–39, no. 57.
Joseph S. Czestochowski and Anne Pingeot, Degas Sculptures: Catalogue Raisonné of the Bronzes (Memphis, 2002), pp. 232–33, no. 57.
Art Institute of Chicago, “Degas in the Art Institute of Chicago,” 19 July – 23 September 1984, no. 72.
Art Gallery of Alberta, “Degas: Figures in Motion,” 22 January - 30 May 2010, no cat.
The Art Institute of Chicago, “Degas: At the Track, On the Stage,” July 1, 2015-February 26, 2016, no cat.
Commissioned by Edgar Degas’s heirs from the Hébrard Foundry, Paris, May 1918; René DeGas Family, Paris, by 1921 [see Czestochowski and Pingeot, pp. 15]; by descent to the DeGas-Musson Family, New Orleans, before 1950 [see source cited above, p. 233]; sold by Gaston DeGas-Musson and the Musson Family to the Elkin and Albris Silberman Galleries, New York, January 19, 1950 [see source cited above; see also agreement of sale, January 19, 1950, DeGas-Musson Family Papers, Howard-Tilton Memorial Library, Tulane University, copy in curatorial file]; sold by Silberman Galleries to the Art Institute, 1950.
Object information is a work in progress and may be updated as new research findings emerge. To help improve this record, please email . Information about image downloads and licensing is available here.