About this artwork
In a tangerine-colored dress, Jane Avril performs a high kick, her arms lost among the voluptuous ruffles. Peeking out from beneath her petticoat, her toe points to a double-bass player. The neck of the instrument frames the poster.
In contract to the rooted musician, Avril appears birdlike in her frenzied movements. Yet her expression is one of sadness or exhaustion, at odds with the glamorous nightclub setting.
- Henri de Toulouse-Lautrec
- Jane Avril
- Color lithograph on tan wove paper
- Signed on stone, lower center, in image: "T-Lautrec" and "83"; signed on stone, lower left, in image: "T-L" (artist's monogram in circle); inscribed on stone, upper center, in image: "Jane Avril"; inscribed on stone, lower left, below image: "IMP.CHAIX.20.Rue BergérePARIS-ENCRES LORILLEUX"; inscribed on stone, lower center, in image: "Depot Chez Kleinmann / 8, Rue de la Victoire"
- 1,240 × 915 mm (image); 1,290 × 940 mm (sheet)
- Mr. and Mrs. Carter H. Harrison Collection