About this artwork
A few years after the completion of the Woolworth Building and Marin’s initial etchings of it, the artist made a number of elegant, abstracted drawings and further etchings, including the drypoint-enhanced Woolworth from the River and the graphite <a href=”https://www.artic.edu/artworks/2942>Sketch of Lower Manhattan”, in which he used line sparingly to study the force of the skyscraper in its purest, most distilled form.
- Currently Off View
- Prints and Drawings
- John Marin
- Woolworth from the River
- United States (Artist's nationality:)
- Made 1917
- Etching with drypoint, selectively wiped, on ivory Japanese paper
- Signed, recto, lower left, in graphite: "John Marin"; signed, lower right, in the plate: "marin 12"; inscribed, bottom center, in graphite: "B118 Woolworth from the River"
- Plate: 28.2 × 22.7 cm (11 1/8 × 8 15/16 in.); Sheet: 43.8 × 33.3 cm (17 1/4 × 13 1/8 in.)
- Alfred Stieglitz Collection
- © 2018 Estate of John Marin / Artists Rights Society (ARS), New York