About this artwork
The prima ballerina shown in Edgar Degas’s pastel has been identified as the Spanish dancer Rosita Mauri, who moved from Catalonia to Paris and gained fame at the Paris Opéra in the late 1870s.
- Currently Off View
- Prints and Drawings
- Hilaire Germain Edgar Degas
- The Star
- France (Artist's nationality:)
- Pastel on cream wove paper, edge mounted on board
- Signed recto, lower right, in brown patel: "Degas"
- 73.3 × 57.4 cm (28 7/8 × 22 5/8 in.)
- Bequest of Mrs. Diego Suarez