13 x 10 3/8 in. (33 x 26.2 cm)
Painted surface: 13 x 10 1/8 in. (33 x 25.7 cm)
Charles H. and Mary F. S. Worcester Collection
Extended information about this artwork
Galerie Heinemann and Galerie Hansen A.G., Alte und moderne Meister, Munich, , n.pag. (ill.).
Frank E. Washburn Freund, “Ausstellung altdeutscher Malerei in den F. Kleinberger Galleries zu New York,” Belvedere 8 (1929), p. 285.
Charles L. Kuhn, A Catalogue of German Paintings of the Middle Ages and Renaissance in American Collections, Cambridge, Mass., 1936, p. 65, no. 272, pl. 55.
Daniel Catton Rich, ed., Catalogue of the Charles H. and Mary F. S. Worcester Collection of Paintings, Sculpture and Drawings, Chicago, 1938, p. 44, no. 41.
Suzanne Lustenberger, Martin Schaffner, Maler zu Ulm, Schriften des Ulmer Museums, n.s. 2, Ulm, 1959, p. 224, no. 7.
The Art Institute of Chicago, Paintings in The Art Institute of Chicago: A Catalogue of the Picture Collection, 1961, p. 412.
Martha Wolff in Martha Wolff et al., Northern European and Spanish Paintings before 1600 in the Art Institute of Chicago, Chicago, 2008, pp. 408-11, ill.
Manuel Teget-Welz, Martin Schaffner. Leben und Werk eines Ulmer Malers zwischen Spätmittelalter und Renaissance, Ulm, 2008, p. 634, no. 4.
New York, Kleinberger, Loan Exhibition of German Primitives for the Benefit of the American Red Cross, 1928, no. 20.
AIC, Loan Exhibition of Old Masters, 1928–29 (no cat.).
Bachstitz Gallery, Berlin [Heinemann reported that he acquired the painting from Bachstitz, statement of Nov. 27, 1928; translation in Art Institute Archives]; Galerie Heinemann, Munich, by 1928 [see Heinemann and Hansen ]; sold to Charles H. Worcester, Chicago, 1928 [approved as one of several future gifts from Worcester by the board of trustees of the Art Institute, September 24, 1928]; given to the Art Institute, 1947.
Object information is a work in progress and may be updated as new research findings emerge. To help improve this record, please email .