About this artwork
On Kawara’s work renders the passage of time and one life within its continuum. From 1966 until his death, the artist produced thousands of works in a series called Today. In each, he painted the date (notably, without using stencils) in white on a monochromatic field. While usually not exhibited a newspaper accompanies every work to document the location and context of its execution. Kawara always began and completed these works on the date represented, and if he did not finish a painting on its date, he destroyed it. While following these self-imposed guidelines, Kawara used a set range of canvas sizes for his date paintings. Oct.
31, 1978 is one of only ten works painted at this scale, the largest used in the series.
- Currently Off View
- Contemporary Art
- On Kawara
- Oct. 31, 1978 (Today Series, "Tuesday")
- United States (Artist's nationality)
- Made 1978
- Acrylic on canvas, with two newspapers
- 155 × 226 cm (61 × 89 in.)
- Twentieth-Century Purchase Fund
- © On Kawara. Courtesy David Zwirner, New York