About this artwork
The front of this coin portrays King Mithradates, wearing a diadem and facing right.
The back depicts the winged horse Pegasus surrounded by an as yet untranslated inscription.
- Currently Off View
- Arts of the Ancient Mediterranean and Byzantium
- Ancient Greek
- Tetradrachm (Coin) Portraying King Mithridates VI
- Greece (Minted in)
- Struck 90 BCE–89 BCE
- Reverse: ΒΑΣΙΛΕΩΣ ΜΙΘΡΑΔΑΤΟΥ ΕΥΠΑΤΟΡΟΣ "King Mithradates Eupator" (Monogram: ΒΚ) (In field: ΗΣ Θ) "Year 208 month 9"
- Diam.: 3.1 cm (1 1/4 in.)
- Gift of Martin A. Ryerson