About this artwork
The Netherlandish artist Master F. V. B. produced a close copy of Martin Schongauer’s print that appears in reverse as a result of the printing process. The subject was also known as a “bird concert” and continued to be popular for centuries. It consisted of diurnal birds making raucous fun of the helplessness of a nocturnal owl, which had been unwittingly stranded during the day. This particular owl seems to be slightly less blinded by the sun than others. He has secured some prey, and holds the small bird prisoner in his beak.
- Currently Off View
- Prints and Drawings
- Master F.V.B.
- Ornament with Owl Mocked by Day Birds
- Netherlands (Artist's nationality:)
- Made 1475–1485
- Engraving on cream laid paper
- Image/plate: 14.9 × 9.8 cm (5 7/8 × 3 7/8 in.); Sheet: 14.2 × 10 cm (5 5/8 × 3 15/16 in.)
- Bequest of Mrs. Potter Palmer, Jr.