Inscribed, in red paint, at lower left on fictive oval frame: Js. Northcote. Fecit. 1789
30 1/16 × 25 1/16 in. (76.4 × 63.6 cm)
Gift of Mr. and Mrs. Denison B. Hull
IIIF Manifest The International Image Interoperability Framework (IIIF) represents a set of open standards that enables rich access to digital media from libraries, archives, museums, and other cultural institutions around the world.
Stephen Gwynn, Memorials of an Eighteenth Century Painter (London, 1898), p. 273, no. 250.
John Wilson, “The Romantics, 1790–1830,” in The British Portrait, 1660–1960 (Woodbridge, 1991), pp. 245–46. pl. 233.
Susan Wise and Malcolm Warner, French and British Paintings from 1600 to 1800 in The Art Institute of Chicago: A Catalogue of the Collection (Chicago, 1996), pp. 261–4, ill.
Vienna, Vereinigung bildender Künstler Wiener Secession, Meisterwerke englischer Malerei aus drei Jahrhunderten, 1927, cat. 61 (ill.).
Exeter, Royal Albert Memorial Museum and Art Gallery, Works by Early Devon Painters, 1932, cat. 271, as Mrs. Alexander Maconochie.
Allan Maconochie (died 1816), later first lord Meadowbank, husband of the sitter; by descent to Sir Evan Maconochie; sold Christie’s London, December 17, 1926, no. 128, as Mrs. Alexander Maconochie, to Agnew, London, for 900 gns; sold by Agnew to Horace Trumbauer, November 1927, and bought back by Agnew, December 1927 [according to Agnew’s stock books; see letter of March 19, 1993, from Gabriel Naughton to Malcolm Warner, in curatorial file]; sold by Agnew to F.W. Clayton, March 1928 [see letter cited above]. F.C. Daniell, London by 1932 [see Exeter 1932]. Neumans, Paris, 1936. Daniel H. Farr Co., New York, also in 1936 [this and previous location indicated on annotated mounts of photographs in the Witt Library, London]. Mrs. Norman Armour, Jr., New York; sold Parke-Bernet, New York, January 25, 1958, no. 289 (ill.), to Newhouse Galleries, New York; sold by Newhouse to Mr. Denison B. Hull, Winnetka, 1960 [letter of Adam Williams, Newhouse Galleries, September 29, 1993 in curatorial file]; given to the Art Institute by Mr. and Mrs. Denison B. Hull, 1974.
Object information is a work in progress and may be updated as new research findings emerge. To help improve this record, please email . Information about image downloads and licensing is available here.