Watercolor and pen and brush and black ink, with black crayon, charcoal, and touches of scraping on ivory wove paper
Signed lower right: "George Bellows"
542 × 688 mm
Olivia Shaler Swan Memorial Collection
Extended information about this artwork
Peyton Boswell, George Bellows (Crown, 1942), p. 75 (ill.).
Frederick A. Sweet, “Some Recent Acquisitions in Water Colors,” Bulletin of the Art Institute of Chicago 36:3 (March 1942), pp. 37-38 (ill.).
Frederick A. Sweet, “George Wesley Bellows,” Design 47:6 (Feb. 1946), p. 8 (ill.).
Frederick A. Sweet, “Bellows 23 Years after Dempsey-Firpo,” Art News 44:19 (Jan. 15, 1946), p. 12 (ill.).
Donald Braider, George Bellows and the Ashcan School of Painting (Doubleday, 1971), p. 88.
Charles H. Morgan, The Drawings of George Bellows (Borden, 1973), n.p. (ill.).
Charlene S. Engel, Bellows Illustrations of the Masses and Other Magazines and Sources of Lithographs (University of Wisconsin, 1976), pp. 14, 31 (ill.).
Judith A. Barter et al., “American Modernism at the Art Institute of Chicago, From World War I to 1955,” (Art Institute of Chicago/Yale University Press, 2009), cat. 16.
New York, Whitney Museum of American Art, “This is Our City: An Exhibition of Paintings, Watercolors, Drawings and Prints,” Mar. 11-Apr. 13, 1941, cat. 135.
Washington, D.C., Phillips Memorial Gallery, “George Bellows: Drawings and Lithographs,” Jan. 14-Feb. 12, 1945, cat. 11.
Art Institute of Chicago, “Drawings Old and New,” Feb. 1946, cat. 1, pl. XXXVII.
Art Institute of Chicago, “George Bellows: Paintings, Drawings and Prints,” Jan. 31-Mar. 10, 1946, cat. 62, p. 84 (ill.).
New York, The American Academy of Arts and Letters, “Exhibition of American Drawings,” Dec. 4-12, 1953, cat. 78.
Washington, D.C., National Gallery of Art, “George Bellows: A Retrospective Exhibition,” Jan. 19-Feb. 24, 1957, cat. 68, p. 101 (ill.).
New York, Metropolitan Museum of Art, “George Bellows (1882-1925)”, No. 13, 2012-Feb. 18, 2013.
The artist; to Emma Bellows, probably 1925. Harlow, Keppel and Company, by 1941 [New York 1941 exh. cat.]. Sold by H. V. Allison Galleries to the Art Institute of Chicago, 1941.
Object information is a work in progress and may be updated as new research findings emerge. To help improve this record, please email . Information about image downloads and licensing is available here.