About this artwork
In 1939, Twentieth-Century Fox commissioned Benton to create six lithographs-with reproduction rights to a billboard-size reproduction-as a promotional ploy for its filming of John Steinbeck’s The Grapes of Wrath. One of these was the melancholy synopsis of destitute, migrant "Okies" from drought-stricken Oklahoma in The Departure of the Joads.
Currently Off View
- Prints and Drawings
- Thomas Hart Benton
- Departure of the Joads, from The Grapes of Wrath
- United States
- Lithograph on ivory wove paper
- Signed recto, lower right, in graphite: "Benton"
- 327 x 470 mm (image); 403 x 601 mm (sheet)
- Restricted gift of Mrs. H. S. Perkins