Graphite, with stumping, on light-weight yellowish-tan wove paper, laid down on white wove paper, perimeter mounted on cream wove paper
Signed left, in pencil: "Ing."
189 × 210 mm
Restricted gift of the Joseph and Helen Regenstein Foundation
Extended information about this artwork
The Art Quarterly, 35:4 (Winter 1972), p. 439 (ill.).
William Schab Gallery, Master Prints and Drawings (1971), no. 76 (ill.).
Harold Joachim, French Drawings and Sketchbooks of the Nineteenth Century I (Chicago, 1979), pp. 89-90, no. 4F3.
London, Wildenstein and Company, “The Art of Drawing: XVIth to XIXth Centuries,” May 9–June 16, 1956, p. 25, cat. 96.
The Art Institute of Chicago, “The Regenstein Collection of European Drawings,” 1974, no. 63, cat. by Harold Joachim.
The Art Institute of Chicago, “The Regenstein Collection of European Drawings,” 1985–1986.
Tübingen, Germany, Kunsthalle Tübingen, "Ingres und Delacroix: Aquarelle und Zeichnungen," September 12-October 28, 1986, pp. 250-51, cat. 7 (ill.), cat. by Ernst Goldschmidt and Götz Adriani, et al, traveled to Brussels, Palais des Beaux-Arts, November 6-December 21, 1986.
Estate of the artist [Lugt 1477]. Georges Wildenstein (1892–1963), Paris [E.R.R. card]; confiscated by the Einsatzstab Reichsleiter Rosenberg (E.R.R.), before January 15, 1943 [January 15, 1943 is the date the drawing was entered into the E.R.R.’s records at the Jeu de Paume Museum in Paris]; recovered by the American Forces’ Monuments, Fine Arts, and Archives Service (M.F.A.A.) and processed at the Munich Central Art Collecting Point, June 24, 1945 [Central Collecting Point card]; repatriated to France, September 19, 1946 and restituted to Wildenstein, March 21, 1947 [Central Collecting Point card; Cultural Plunder by the Einsatzstab Reichsleiter Rosenberg: Database of Art Objects at the Jeu de Paume (on-line)]. Wildenstein and Company, London, by May 1956 [1956 exh. cat.]. Villiers David, London [according to a letter from Frederick Schab dated March 7, 1972 in the curatorial file]. Sold by the William Schab Gallery, New York, to the Art Institute, 1972.
Object information is a work in progress and may be updated as new research findings emerge. To help improve this record, please email .