About this artwork
This engraving by Israhel van Meckenem is from a series of 12 prints that depicts amorous couples in elaborately furnished interiors. Its suggestive scene depicts a young couple eagerly anticipating a liaison—musical or otherwise. In his lap, the man holds a lute, an instrument frequently likened to the female body, and he stares intently at his companion, who pauses in reading her musical scroll to return his gaze. The small dog in chains near his feet is meant to symbolize the captivating power of music and beautiful women.
- Currently Off View
- Prints and Drawings
- Israhel van Meckenem, the younger
- The Singer and the Lute Player
- Germany (Artist's nationality:)
- Engraving in black on tan laid paper
- 15.5 × 10.7 cm (6 1/8 × 4 1/4 in.)
- Bequest of Mrs. Potter Palmer, Jr.