About this artwork
This tender family grouping—with Saint Anne, the mother of Mary, shielding her daughter and Jesus in her cloak— emphasizes Christ’s maternal line of descent from King David. The oval format of the engraving plate and the impression’s small size suggest it could have functioned as a devotional medallion, whether pasted onto a cardboard support as jewelry, slipped into a pocket or a hatband, or glued into a prayer book.
- Currently Off View
- Prints and Drawings
- Unknown artist
- Saint Anne, the Virgin, and Child
- Germany (Artist's nationality:)
- Engraving in black on cream laid paper
- Image/sheet: 4.5 × 3.8 cm (1 13/16 × 1 1/2 in.)
- Bequest of Mrs. Potter Palmer, Jr.