About this artwork
Set in the provincial home of Lord Asano in Ako, this scene closely resembles Masayoshi’s version of this act, which is shown nearby. However, Hiroshige chose to depict a single scene from the act: Asano’s wife sits with attendant maids and Rikiya while arranging cherry blossoms. Arriving in the background are deputies, including Honzo, from the court to notify Lord Asano that he been condemned to commit seppuku as punishment for his knife attack in court on Lord Kira. This verdict was expected by Asano and his family.
- Currently Off View
- Arts of Asia
- Utagawa Hiroshige
- Act 4 (Yondanme), from the series "The Revenge of the Loyal Retainers (Chushingura)"
- Japan (Artist's nationality)
- Color woodblock print; oban
- 25.5 × 36.5 cm (10 1/16 × 14 3/8 in.)
- Frederick W. Gookin Collection