Pen and brown ink and brush and brown and gray wash, over black chalk, on ivory laid paper
431 x 285 mm
Margaret Day Blake Collection
Extended information about this artwork
George Knox, “A Group of Tiepolo Drawings Owned and Engraved by Pietro Monaco,” Master Drawings (1965), no. 4.
Anna Pallucchini, Giambattista Tiepolo (Milan, 1971), pl. 15, p. 18.
Harold Joachim and Suzanne Folds McCullagh, Italian Drawings in the Art Institute of Chicago (Chicago and London), 1979, pp. 77-78, pl. 121, no. 113.
Harold Joachim, Italian Drawings of the 18th and 19th Centuries and Spanish Drawings of the 17th through 19th Centuries (Chicago, 1980), no. 2A10.
The Art Institute of Chicago, “A Quarter Century of Collecting: Drawings Given to The Art Institute of Chicago 1944-1970 by Margaret Day Blake,” April 28-June 7, 1970, n.p., cat. 16 (ill.).
Washington, D.C., The National Gallery of Art, “Venetian Drawings from American Collections,” September 21, 1974-April 20, 1975, cat. 66; also traveled to Fort Worth, the Kimbell Art Museum; and the St. Louis Art Museum.
The Art Institute of Chicago, “151 Italian Drawings from The Art Institute of Chicago,” 1979-1980, cat. 113, cat. by Harold Joachim and Suzanne Folds McCullagh; also traveled to Washington D.C., the National Gallery of Art.
The Art Institute of Chicago, “Eighteenth Century Venetian Drawings,” January 11-May 5, 1985.
The Art Institute of Chicago, “Great Drawings from The Art Institute of Chicago: The Harold Joachim Years 1958-1983,” July 24-September 30, 1985, pp. 54-55, cat. 18 (ill.), cat. by Martha Tedeschi; traveled to the Saint Louis Art Museum, March 10-May 16, 1986.
Cambridge, Mass., Harvard University Art Museums, “Tiepolo and His Circle; Drawings in American Collections,” October 12-December 15, 1996, p. 60, cat. 18 (ill.), by Bernard Aikema; traveled to New York, The Pierpont Morgan Library, January 13-April 13, 1997.
Vicomte Jacques de Canson, Paris [invoice]. Germain Seligman (1893-1978), New York [stamp]; sold by Jacques Seligmann and Company, New York, to the Art Institute, 1970.
Object information is a work in progress and may be updated as new research findings emerge. To help improve this record, please email .