About this artwork
Tang artisans delighted in observing and depicting the foreign traders and travelers who thronged China’s major cities. Clad in knee-length pantaloons, this dark-skinned, curly-haired youth evokes Tang descriptions of visitors from “Kunlun,” —a site unrelated to the Kunlun Mountains (south of Khotan), instead referring to an area of Southeast Asia, Indonesia, or the Malay Peninsula.
- Curly-Haired Youth
- China (Artist's nationality:)
- Artist's working dates 618 CE–906 CE
- Earthenware with brown lead glaze
- 30.2 × 10.5 × 8.1 cm (11 7/8 × 4 1/8 × 3 3/16 in.)
- Gift of Emily Crane Chadbourne