About this artwork
A few years after the completion of the Woolworth Building and Marin’s initial etchings of it, the artist made a number of elegant, abstracted drawings and further etchings, including the drypoint-enhanced Woolworth from the River and the graphite Sketch of Lower Manhattan, in which he used line sparingly to study the force of the skyscraper in its purest, most distilled form.
Currently Off View
- Prints and Drawings
- John Marin
- Sketch of Lower Manhattan
- United States
- Graphite on lightweight, smooth, cream wove paper, laid down on white wove card
- Signed lower right, in graphite: "Marin"
- 336 × 249 mm (primary support); 384 × 285 mm (secondary support)
- Alfred Stieglitz Collection
- © 2018 Estate of John Marin / Artists Rights Society (ARS), New York