J. B. De La Faille, L’Oeuvre de Vincent Van Gogh: Catalogue Raisonné (Paris and Brussels, 1928), cat. no. 142, pp. 48, pl. XXXVIII.
J. B. De La Faille, Vincent Van Gogh, trans. by Prudence Montagu-Pollock (Paris and New York, 1939), cat. no. 190, p.157 (ill.).
J. B. De La Faille, The Works of Vincent Van Gogh: His Paintings and Drawings (New York, 1970), no. F139, p. 88 (ill.), 89, 617.
Paola Lecaldano, L’opera pittorica completa di Van Gogh, i(Milan, 1977), cat. no. 171, p. 104 (ill.).
Jan Hulsker, The Complete Van Gogh (New York, 1980), no. 807, pp. 176, 180 (ill.).
Belinda Thomson, Van Gogh (New York, 2001), pp. 30, 106, pl. 4.
Omaha, Nebraska, Joslyn Art Museum, Jules Breton and the French Rural Tradition, November 6, 1982–January 2, 1983, cat. 99.
Tokyo, Seibu Museum, The Impressionist Tradition, Masterpieces from the Art Institute of Chicago, October 18–December 1, 1985, no.; traveled to Kyoto, Fukuoka Art Museum, January 5–February 2, 1986; Kyoto, Municipal Museum of Art, March 4–April 13, 1986, cat. 11.
Vienna, Bank Austria Kunstforum, Van Gogh und die Haager Schule, February 28–May 27, 1996, cat. 78 (ill.).
Mrs. A. C. Van Gogh Carbentus, the artist’s mother, Neunen/Breda, 1885/1886 [among the works left behind by the artist when he moved to Antwerp in 1885, according to Martha Op de Coul, R.K.D., The Hague, letter of August 23, 2000]; given with other contents of the artist’s studio to the carpenter, Schrauwen, Breda, in 1886, until 1903 [see Benno J. Stokvis, Nasporingen omtrent Vincent van Gogh in Brabant, Amsterdam, 1926, pp. 5-6]; transferred to Jan and Rien Couvreur, Breda, 1903 [see Stokvis as cited above]; sold by them to C. Mouwen, Jr., Breda; sold Frederik Muller, Amsterdam, May 3, 1904, no. 13 (ill.), for 205 fl. to Van Gelder [according to annotated copy of sale catalogue at the R.K.D., The Hague; the identity of Van Gelder remains unknown; he was apparently not H.E. van Gelder – information kindly supplied by Louis van Tilborgh, electronic communication 2000]. Mejevrouw K. Cosman, The Hague, by June 1935 [according to Faille, 1970, p. 617, no. 142 and stockbook of Kunsthandel Van Wisselingh & Co., Amsterdam, in R.K.D., The Hague]; sold by her to Kunsthandel Van Wisselingh & Co., Amsterdam, by June 1935 [see above; though Van Wisselingh may have acquired it from Mej. Cosman before 1935]; sold by Van Wisselingh to Harry S. Southam, Ottawa, June 24, 1935 [according to stockbook cited above]; Harry S. Southam, Ottawa, 1935 until about 1944 [the picture is omitted from a 1944 typeset catalogue of Southam’s collection, and had presumably been sold by then - according to Michael Pantazzi, National Gallery of Canada, letter of July 26, 2000]. E. and A. Silberman, New York; sold to Dr. John J. Ireland (died 1968), Chicago, about 1964 [information from catalogue card]; bequeathed by him to the Art Institute, 1968.
Object information is a work in progress and may be updated as new research findings emerge. To help improve this record, please email .