About this artwork
Albrecht Altdorfer, known as one of the Little Masters (in German, Kleinmeister) along with Georg Pencz and the brothers Barthel and Sebald Beham, excelled at creating prints on a minute scale, whether in intaglio or relief. This woodcuts is part of a series entitled The Fall and Redemption of Man contrasting the expulsion of Adam and Eve from paradise with Christ’s Passion narrative. Connoisseurs would have collected these diminutive prints as an entire cycle and often pasted them into albums.
- Currently Off View
- Prints and Drawings
- Albrecht Altdorfer
- Christ Appears to the Magdalen, from The Fall and Redemption of Man
- Germany (Artist's nationality)
- Artist's working dates 1500–1538
- Woodcut in black on ivory laid paper
- Image/block: 7.1 × 4.7 cm (2 13/16 × 1 7/8 in.); Sheet: 7.2 × 4.9 cm (2 7/8 × 1 15/16 in.)
- Gift of Mr. and Mrs. Potter Palmer, Jr.