About this artwork
Within this collection are various materials pertaining to all aspects of the Chicago fair of 1893, from initial preparations to specific buildings and exhibitors. It includes photographs of the exposition buildings and exhibits, publications and published articles, and ephemera such as exhibition maps, guides, and tickets. Also included is a scrapbook by Halsey Ives, Chief of the Fine Arts Department of the exposition, that contains newspaper articles and correspondence. Additionally, black and white and hand-colored stereocards depict many of the fair’s buildings, exhibits, and events.
Collections may be accessed in the Franke Reading Room of the Research Center at The Art Institute of Chicago, by appointment only. For further information, consult the FAQ.
Contact the Ryerson and Burnham Art and Architecture Archives:
- Currently Off View
- AIC Archives
- C. D. Arnold (Photographer)
- World's Columbian Exposition Photographs by C. D. Arnold
- Made 1891–1894
- Large-format, platinum photographic prints removed from four original album bindings and remounted in their original order in fifteen oversize albums; small-format, sepia toned albumen photographic prints mounted on board; and printed papers.
- 3 linear feet (9 boxes), 15 oversize portfolios, and flatfile materials
- Gift of Ralph Harris, 1954. Purchase of the Ryerson and Burnham Libraries, 1989; Ryerson and Burnham Archives, 2002.