About this artwork
Within this collection are various materials pertaining to all aspects of the Chicago fair of 1893, from initial preparations to specific buildings and exhibitors. It includes photographs of the exposition buildings and exhibits, publications and published articles, and ephemera such as exhibition maps, guides, and tickets. Also included is a scrapbook by Halsey Ives, Chief of the Fine Arts Department of the exposition, that contains newspaper articles and correspondence. Additionally, black and white and hand-colored stereocards depict many of the fair’s buildings, exhibits, and events.
Collections may be accessed in the Franke Reading Room of the Research Center at The Art Institute of Chicago, by appointment only. For further information, consult the FAQ.
Contact the Ryerson and Burnham Art and Architecture Archives:
- Currently Off View
- AIC Archives
- World's Columbian Exposition (1893 : Chicago, IL.) (Collaborator)
- World's Columbian Exposition Collection
- Made 1890–1896
- Printed papers, black and white photographic prints, color photographic prints, black and white and hand-tinted color stereocards, postcards, a scrapbook, and printed papers.
- 3.5 linear feet (7 boxes), 2 portfolios, 3 oversize portfolios, and flatfile materials
- Gift of Mrs. R.C. Stockton and from Judith A. Barter, n.d.; Christopher Monkhouse, Daniel and Lisa Burnham and Abbie and Donald W. Penfield, 2005; Kathryn M. Thomas, 2009; Martin and Patrick Levy, Blairman & Sons, 2012. Additional materials were purchased by the Ryerson and Burnham Archives in 2002, 2005, 2005 and 2014. Transfers.