About this artwork
The Tomlinson Subdivision was begun in 1888 in the present-day Lincoln Park area of Chicago. The subdivision, on the 2300 blocks of North Clifton and Racine Streets, dates from 1888 and contains several arts and crafts style homes. This collection documents the history of this subdivision and the structures that have been built and razed on it, including the Alexian Brothers Hospital, demolished in 1977. This collection also contains research related to an unsubstantiated claim that Frank Lloyd Wright was involved in the design of several buildings in the subdivision.
Collections may be accessed in the Franke Reading Room of the Research Center at The Art Institute of Chicago, by appointment only. For further information, consult the FAQ.
Contact the Ryerson and Burnham Art and Architecture Archives:
- Currently Off View
- AIC Archives
- Tomlinson Subdivision Collection
- Lincoln Park (Place depicted)
- Made 1887–1998
- Photographs, typed papers, and printed papers.
- H.: 15.3 cm (6 in.)
- Gift of Ed Norris, n.d.