About this artwork
Among the last members of the first Chicago School were Richard Ernst Schmidt (1865–1959) and Hugh Mackie Gordon Garden (1873–1961) who entered into partnership in 1895. Edgar D. Martin (1871–1951) joined them in 1906. Garden, the senior designer, had worked for Frank Lloyd Wright, Shepley, Rutan and Coolidge, and Howard Van Doren Shaw. With this exposure to varying styles, Garden designed buildings with Prairie School massing and ornament, as well as those in a classical vocabulary. This collection of 2,500+ items from more than one hundred projects documents the firm’s output between the years 1898 and 1922.
Collections may be accessed in the Franke Reading Room of the Research Center at The Art Institute of Chicago, by appointment only. For further information, consult the FAQ.
Contact the Ryerson and Burnham Art and Architecture Archives:
- Currently Off View
- AIC Archives
- Schmidt, Garden and Martin (Architect)
- Schmidt, Garden and Martin Records
- Made 1903–1985
- Printed papers, correspondence, typescript papers, black and white photographic prints, black and white photographic negatives, black and white photomechanical prints, and architectural reprographic prints.
- Flatfile materials: H.: 122 cm (48 in.)
- Gift of Schmidt, Garden and Erikson, 1976, c.1990-1993, c.2003; Unkown gift, 2009; Steve Heimerle, 2014.