About this artwork
Trained at Yale’s School of Architecture, Edward Dart came to Chicago after World War II to establish a private practice. Later, as partner in the large Loebl Schlossman Bennett firm, Dart was chief designer of the influential vertical shopping mall Water Tower Place (Chicago) and St. Procopius Abbey (Lisle, Illinois). The collection includes research materials gathered by his biographer: family records, publications, correspondence, photographs, military records, honors and citations, and audio-taped interviews.
Collections may be accessed in the Franke Reading Room of the Research Center at The Art Institute of Chicago, by appointment only. For further information, consult the FAQ.
Contact the Ryerson and Burnham Art and Architecture Archives:
- Currently Off View
- AIC Archives
- Edward Dupaquier Dart (Architect)
- Edward Dart Collection
- Made 1841–2016
- Typescript papers, holograph papers, printed papers, black and white photographic prints, color photographic prints and audiocassettes.
- 9 linear feet (19 boxes), 1 oversize portfolio, 1 rolled tube and flatfile materials
- Gift of Susan Dart McCutcheon, 1996; Diane Williams, Ellen Godfrey and Robert Swartz, 2011.