About this artwork
Childerly Chapel was commissioned by the Crane family for their estate in Wheeling, Illinois, and was completed in 1926. Although the architect of the chapel is unknown, the interiors were finished with painting and sculpture by André Derain and Alfeo Faggi. This album of eleven mounted black-and-white photographs depicts the chapel, Derain’s painting Last Supper of 1911 and Faggi’s sculpture Holy Child, two standing sculptures of St. Francis, and his well-known Stations of the Cross.
<a href=”“http://digital-libraries.artic.edu/cdm/search/collection/findingaids/searchterm/Childerly%20Chapel%20Photograph%20Album/field/title/mode/all/conn/and/cosuppress/1”“>View finding aid.
Collections may be accessed in the Franke Reading Room of the Research Center at The Art Institute of Chicago, by appointment only. For further information, consult <a href=”“https://www.artic.edu/archival-collections/contact-usage-and-faq”“>the FAQ.
<a href=”“https://www.artic.edu/archival-collections/finding-aids”“>Finding aids by subject
<a href=”“http://digital-libraries.saic.edu/cdm/landingpage/collection/findingaids”“>Browse all finding aids
<a href=”“http://digital-libraries.saic.edu/cdm/landingpage/collection/mqc”“>Browse images and media
<a href=”“https://www.artic.edu/archival-collections/oral-histories”“>Oral histories
Contact the Ryerson and Burnham Art and Architecture Archives:
- Currently Off View
- AIC Archives
- André Derain (Painter)
- Childerly Chapel Photograph Album
- Made 1926–1930
- One bound album of black and white photographic prints.
- H.: 7.7 cm (3 in.)
- Gift of Frances Crane Lillie, mid-1980s.