About this artwork
Edgar Degas captured an intimate moment: a woman drying herself after a bath. At right, a curtain conceals the woman’s lower body as she bends forward. Degas’s loose handling of pastel and use of warm hues of yellow, orange, and red throughout the drawing visually connect the woman’s body with her surroundings, though specific details like the woman’s face and emotions are obscured from view.
- Currently Off View
- Prints and Drawings
- Hilaire Germain Edgar Degas
- Woman at Her Toilette
- France (Artist's nationality:)
- Pastel on tracing paper
- Signed lower left, in red: "Degas"
- 75 × 72.5 cm (29 9/16 × 28 9/16 in.)
- Mr. and Mrs. Martin A. Ryerson Collection