Probably incorporated into the Gambassi altarpiece, Church of Santi Lorenzo e Onofrio, Benedictine Convent of the Romite, Gambassi (near Volterra), by 1525/28 to no later than 1637 [see Lloyd 1993]. Probably Medici Collection, Palazzo Pitti, Florence, by 1637 [see Conti 1983–84, pp. 162–63]. Possibly Leopold de’Medici (died 1675), Villa del Poggio Imperiale, Florence, by 1655 [Trkulja 1976, p. 12 suggested that they could be identified with entries in the inventories of 1655 and 1692: Due quadretti in tavola, alti s. 7 lari 1/4 dipintovj in tondo di mano d’Andrea del Sarto, in uno il Suo rit., e nell’altro il ritr. della Sua Moglie” (Two small pictures on panel, 7 soldi high by 1/4 [braccio] wide painted in roundels by Andrea del Sarto, in one His portrait, and in the other portrait of His Wife); the measurements (approx. 8 x 6 inches) correspond closely; that the portraits were, by the seventeenth century, thought to be del Sarto and his wife does not necessarily invalidate the argument for their inclusion in the Gambassi altarpiece]. New York art market, 1963; Mrs. Murray S. Danforth, Providence, Rhode Island, 1963–64 [according to Freedberg 1966, p. 35, n. 1]; given to Art Institute, 1964.
Object information is a work in progress and may be updated as new research findings emerge. To help improve this record, please email . Information about image downloads and licensing is available here.