About this artwork
Around 1882 the society figure Lady Archibald Campbell commissioned Whistler to paint her portrait, and in 1884 he made an oil sketch of her performing outdoors in the role of Orlando in Shakespeare’s As You Like It. Several years later, Roussel portrayed her in costume for her role in Banville’s Le baiser. Unlike The Pastoral Play, which he sketched during the performance, this print, another print and a related pastel must have been created during one or more formal sittings.
- Currently Off View
- Prints and Drawings
- Theodore Roussel
- Pierrot, Portrait of the Lady A. C.
- England (Artist's nationality)
- Drypoint in black on cream wove paper
- Image: 7.5 × 8 cm (3 × 3 3/16 in.); Plate: 11.8 × 9.4 cm (4 11/16 × 3 3/4 in.); Sheet, with signature tab: 12.2 × 9.5 cm (4 13/16 × 3 3/4 in.)
- Gift of Meg and Mark Hausberg