About this artwork
The drawing Study for Ice is one of the artist’s early iterations of a single-word composition, which has become a mainstay throughout his career. The articulation of the melting word is directly related to a photograph Ruscha made of an ice truck. The piece can clearly be understood as a precursor to his famous “liquid word” paintings, such as City from 1968.
- Currently Off View
- Prints and Drawings
- Ed Ruscha
- Study for Ice
- United States (Artist's nationality)
- Oil and pencil on off-white wove paper
- Signed and dated recto, lower right: "Ed Ruscha 1961"
- 27 × 30.4 cm (10 11/16 × 12 in.)
- Promised gift of Edward and Danna Ruscha