Stanislas Lami, Dictionaire des sculpteurs de l’école française au dix-neuvième siècle 2, reprint (Nendeln, Liechtenstein, 1970), pp. 283–84.
June Ellen Hargrove, The Life and Work of Albert Ernest Carrier-Belleuse (New York: Garland Publishing, 1977), pp. xiii, 188–89, no. 148.
Sophie Lillie, Was einmal war: Hundbuch der enteigneten Kunstsammlung Wiens (Vienna: Czernin Verlag, 2003), p. 224.
Art Institute of Chicago, “European Terracotta Sculpture from the Permanent Collection,” 27 July – 13 October 1983 [no cat.].
Sold, the artist’s estate sale, Hôtel Drouot, Paris, December 19–23, 1887, lot 108. Oscar Bondy, Vienna, by 1939 [according to copy of inventory, reproduced in Lillie 2003, p. 224]; confiscated by the Nazis for Hitler’s projected museum at Linz, 1939 [see source cited above]; restituted to Oscar’s widow, Elizabeth Bondy, New York, 1946 [according to Lillie 2003, p. 244; see also restitution receipt, April 25, 1946, Ardelia Hall Records, RG 260, Box 286, copy in curatorial file]. Victoria and Leopold Blumka, New York, before 1964; given to the Art Institute, 1964.
Object information is a work in progress and may be updated as new research findings emerge. To help improve this record, please email .