About this artwork
The artists of Brücke (Bridge) regularly worked together, both in their studios as well as out of doors; this communal approach contributed to the early consistency of their style and reflected an important aspect of their utopian program. Echoing larger social concerns about health at the time, Max Pechstein and his colleagues often escaped the constraints of city life to find a more authentic existence in nature, documenting their experiences in their work. Later, after his relocation to Berlin in 1908, he also made solitary trips to Nidden, a remote fishing village on the Baltic Sea. Pechstein painted The Red House during the second of these trips, attracted to the expansive dunes and forests of the region as well as the local people and architecture.
- Max Pechstein
- The Red House
- Oil on canvas
- Signed and dated, l.r.: Pechstein 1911; annotated on verso: Rotes Haus/Pechstein/500
- 35 × 27 in. (88.9 × 68.5 cm)
- Bequest of Kenneth and Bernice Newberger