Robert Schmit and Manuel Schmit, Stanislas Lépine, 1835–1892: Catalogue Raisonné de l’oeuvre peint (Paris: Éditions Galerie Schmit, 1993), p. 46, no. 111.
Sold by the artist to Durand-Ruel, Paris, January 3, 1888 [according to a letter from Caroline Durand-Ruel Godfroy dated May 3, 2000 in curatorial file; Durand-Ruel Paris stock no. 1408]; transferred to their New York gallery, January 12, 1888 [according to the letter referenced above; Durand-Ruel New York stock no. 320]; sold by Durand-Ruel to William L. Andrews, February 18, 1888 [according to the letter referenced above]; bought back by Durand-Ruel, New York, October 16, 1888 [according to the letter referenced above; Durand-Ruel New York stock no. 431]; sold by Durand-Ruel to Mrs. J. J. Borland (died 1933), Chicago, October 31, 1895 [according to the letter referenced above]; by descent to her son Chauncey Borland, Chicago; given to the Art Institute, 1964.
Object information is a work in progress and may be updated as new research findings emerge. To help improve this record, please email . Information about image downloads and licensing is available here.