About this artwork
Text printed on reverse of stereocard:
This Wonderful Mineral Fountain was discovered in February, 1870. It was developed by experimental drilling in the sold rick. It is located in the “Coeesa Valley,” near Cady Hill, on the Ballston road, one and a half miles south of the principal hotels at Saratoga Springs. The water vein was struck by the drill in the birdseye limestone, one hundred and fifty feet beneath the surface rock. The water immediately commenced spouting at the surface, being forced up from the depths of the earth by the pressure of its own carbonic acid gas, spouting through an inch nozzle to the height of thirty feet. During the season of 1870 over fifty thousand persons visited the Geyser Spring, and the universal testimony of all is that the waters are the best and the Spring the most wonderful in the world.
- Currently Off View
- Photography and Media
- Baker & Record, Photographers
- Geyser Spring
- Saratoga Springs
- Made 1875–1899
- Albumen print, stereo, from the series "Saratoga Springs, N. Y."
- 7.6 × 7.5 cm (each image); 8.6 × 17.5 cm (card)
- Gift of Harold Allen