Marked on base: "M" and "P" flanking a sailboat at sea within a circle (mark of Marblehead Pottery); beneath Marblehead mark, "A" and beneath this "T" (presumably the initials of Annie E. Aldrich--the designer--and Sarah Tutt--the decorator).
21.6 × 17.5 × 17.5 cm (8 1/2 × 6 7/8 × 6 7/8 in.)
Vance American Art Fund; restricted gift of the Antiquarian Society
Extended information about this artwork
Annual Report (Art Institute of Chicago, 2007–2008), 19., ill. p. 24.
Brandon K. Ruud, “Notable Acquisitions at the Art Institute of Chicago,” Museum Studies 35, 2 (Art Institute of Chicago, 2009), 16–17 (ill.).
Art Institute of Chicago, Apostles of Beauty: Arts and Crafts from Britain to Chicago, Nov 7, 2009–Jan 31, 2010, cat. 90.
Blanche and George Byrne, Winchester, Mass., by the late-1920s; given by them to her cousin, Gladys Romney, Boston, Mass., by the early 1930s; given by her to her daughter-in-law, Maxine Gross Romney, Boston, Mass., and then Ellenboro, N.C., by 1956; sold by her to Dr. Paul Rappaport, Saratoga Springs, N.Y., 2003; bought by the Art Institute of Chicago, 2008.
Object information is a work in progress and may be updated as new research findings emerge. To help improve this record, please email .