About this artwork
At first glance, this drawing seems unremarkable in its choice of subject. A man crosses a bridge on a winter day, with humble structures and trees behind him. But the artist described the scene with such a broad range of colors, further elaborated with white chalk, that he imparted a sense of magic to the routines of daily life.
- Currently Off View
- Prints and Drawings
- Anthonie Waterloo
- Winter Landscape with a Man Crossing
- Netherlands (Artist's nationality)
- Black chalk, over translucent and opaque watercolors, with touches of white chalk (recto) and pen and brown ink ledger (verso) on off-white laid paper, incised for transfer
- Inscribed verso, lower half of sheet, in pen and brown ink: list or itemized receipt in old hand; center, in charcoal: "W6" or "WG"; lower left corner, in graphite: "100._"
- 19.7 × 15.8 cm (7 13/16 × 6 1/4 in.)
- Gift of Celia and David Hilliard