Lilies (Corey Memorial Window)

A work made of leaded favrile glass.
CC0 Public Domain Designation

Image actions

  • A work made of leaded favrile glass.

Date:

1892/95

Artist:

Tiffany Glass and Decorating Company
American, 1892–1902
Corona, New York

About this artwork

This memorial window, dedicated to Francis Edwin Corey and his wife, Vernera Leonard Corey, is one of several that Louis Comfort Tiffany’s Tiffany Glass and Decorating Company designed for Christ Reformed Episcopal Church in Chicago. Tiffany used lilies in his stained glass a number of times; the Coreys may have been inspired to commission this design by the well-publicized Field of Lilies Window in Tiffany’s chapel at the 1893 World’s Columbian Exposition in Chicago. Lilies were also considered appropriate for commemorative works, since they symbolized resurrection. When Christ Reformed Episcopal Church was demolished in 1962, the Tiffany windows were moved to St. Andrew Reformed Episcopal Church in Tinley Park, Illinois. The two parts of the Corey Memorial Window are now displayed on either side of this wall.

On View

American Art, Gallery 179

Artist

Louis Comfort Tiffany

Title

Lilies (Corey Memorial Window)

Date

1892–1895

Medium

Leaded Favrile glass

Dimensions

414 × 82.6 cm (163 × 32 1/2 in.)

Credit Line

Gift of St. Andrew Reformed Episcopal Church

Reference Number

2008.64

Extended information about this artwork

Object information is a work in progress and may be updated as new research findings emerge. To help improve this record, please email .

Share

Sign up for our enewsletter to receive updates.

Learn more

Image actions

Share