About this artwork
Untitled (1963) is a study for the Art Institute’s stainless-steel sculpture Cubi VII (1963), which presently sits in the North Garden. The strength and weight of Cubi VII are counteracted by the awe-inspiring balance of its forms, leaving the viewer marveling at the dichotomy between material and form. David Smith’s untitled spray drawing, however, tells a much different story about the artist’s methodology. The drawing evinces Smith’s careful planning and selective juxtaposition of the geometric shapes that characterize the Cubi series. Moreover, it allows the viewer to appreciate both Smith’s technique as a sculptor and his skill as a draftsman on a more intimate, elemental level.
- Currently Off View
- Prints and Drawings
- David Smith
- Untitled (Study for Cubi VII)
- United States (Artist's nationality:)
- Black, blue and ochre spray enamel with black pastel and white oil paint on cream laid paper
- Max: 40.8 × 29.7 cm (16 1/8 × 11 3/4 in.)
- Purchased with funds provided by Mr. and Mrs. Robert Delaney, Mr. and Mrs. Robert Delaney Fund, Mr. and Mrs. Robert Delaney Endowment
- © 2019 The Estate of David Smith / Licensed by VAGA at Artists Rights Society (ARS), NY.