About this artwork
Camille Pissarro composed this pastel in front of a window in his apartment in the Montmartre district of Paris. He used his wife Julie as a model, as well as two young girls, who possibly memorialize his recently deceased daughters. Pissarro created many works at his rural residences outside of Paris, but in this pastel he embraced the interior—yet visibly urban—setting of his rented home. Even indoors, Pissarro found a way to investigate the effects of natural light, which is characteristic of his Impressionist style.
- Currently Off View
- Prints and Drawings
- Camille Pissarro
- At the Window, rue des Trois Frères
- France (Artist's nationality)
- Made 1878
- Pastel on cream wove pastel paper, perimeter mounted on light gray wove paper
- Signed and dated recto, lower right, in white pastel, over light blue pastel: C Pissarro"
- Primary support: 38 × 26.3 cm (15 × 10 3/8 in.); Secondary support: 38.2 × 26.4 cm (15 1/16 × 10 7/16 in.)
- Gift of Dorothy Braude Edinburg to the Harry B. and Bessie K. Braude Memorial Collection